Joomla is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS).
Joomla is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS).Content Management System is a piece of software that runs on a server and delivers a website to your browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc) when you request it. It allows the page you see to be dynamic (it can change depending on what you're doing) and it allows the owner of the site to make changes to the way the site looks without changing the 'code' behind the site.Open source is a concept that basically involves allowing a community to develop and improve a piece of software.Joomla is a community developed piece of software that allows almost anyone to manage and update their own website.
joomla enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications and its ease-of-use and extensibility. Joomla extensions extend the functionality of Joomla websites. Five types of extensions may be distinguished: components, modules, plugins, templates, and languages. Each of these extensions handles a specific function.
- Components are the largest and most complex extensions. Most components have two parts: a site part and an administrator part. Every time a Joomla page loads, one component is called to render the main page body. Components produce the major portion of a page because a component is driven by a menu item.
- Plugins are advanced extensions and are, in essence, event handlers. In the execution of any part of Joomla, a module or a component, an event may be triggered. When an event is triggered, plugins that are registered to handle that event execute.
- Templates describe the main design of a Joomla website. While the CMS manages the website content, templates determine the style or look and feel and layout of a site.
- Modules render pages in Joomla. They are linked to Joomla components to display new content or images. Joomla modules look like boxes, such as the search or login module. However, they don’t require html in Joomla to work.
- Languages are very simple extensions that can either be used as a core part or as an extension. Language and font information can also be used for PDF or PSD to Joomla conversions.